The health and safety of our patients, staff, volunteers, partners, and community is our utmost priority. Every decision we have made so far and will continue to make in response to the COVID-19 pandemic is with you in mind. These are uncertain times as we are all learning what our new normal will be. Calgary’s Prostate Cancer Centre (PCC) is committed to supporting our community in whatever way we can.
So far, we have made the difficult decision to halt most clinics offered at our Centre and to suspend all MAN VAN™ clinics in the community through 2020. We have requested for our staff to work remotely. Our volunteers are also staying at home. We have postponed upcoming events until the crisis has ended. Measures will continue to be implemented as further social-distancing requests from the nation’s leaders and health care systems arise. The effect of this crisis on our organization is unknown, but what we do know is that the non-profit sector will be impacted.
Patient care continues to be top-of-mind. We are not seeing any patients face to face, except those we have contacted personally by phone. We have had to pivot our patient care strategies so that we can offer as many of our services remotely as possible.
Please check below for further information about your clinic:
- Rapid Access Clinic I: Cancelled until further notice. Please contact your referring Urologist office to follow up on your original referral. CLICK HERE for a list of Urologists.
- Treatment Options for Prostate Cancer: This clinic is currently being offered remotely.
- Post-Operative Support: As of right now, our nurses are still offering post-operative support to patients both remotely and where necessary, in person.
- Continence and Erectile Function: All appointments for this clinic are being conducted over the phone.
- Active Surveillance – Prostate: All Active Surveillance patients will receive a phone call from the Urologist 4-6 weeks after their original appointment date. At this time we are still asking that you repeat lab work for this appointment.
- Clinic for Advanced Metastatic Prostate Cancer (CAMP): Patients will receive a letter in the mail with the upcoming details of the appointment. These clinics will be held at Calgary’s Prostate Cancer Centre.
- Bone Health: This clinic is currently closed.
- Active Surveillance – Kidney: This clinic is running remotely and patients will be contacted by phone.
- Research: Our Research department is not currently conducting patient visits, with the exception of patients requiring Eligard injections who will be seen by Dr. Gotto in his office. All other patient medications are being shipped by courier.
- Biopsy: EFW will be providing biopsies at PCC as determined by the urologists. If you have recently been scheduled for a biopsy, please ensure that you follow social distancing rules while attending your appointment.
We have continued to adjust plans and monitor the situation as it changes hour-by-hour and day-by-day. As things change, please rest assured that we will continue to provide updates in real time.
For now, please continue to practice clean hygiene and check Alberta Health Services for the latest updates regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. If you are needing someone to talk to during these difficult times, please reach out and remember you are not alone. Call Crisis Service Canada at 1-833-456-4566 toll-free 24/7 or text 45645 from 2PM-10PM MT to be connected to someone who can help.
Here are the best ways to stay in touch with us during this time:
- Call us at 403.943.8888. Our phone lines are being monitored regularly.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Visit our website for updated clinic information
- Support our work. Donations to Calgary’s Prostate Cancer Centre can be made online and by mail. Please note that donations sent by mail may experience a delay in tax receipting.
It is during times like these that our community must come together. Although much is uncertain right now, our commitment to supporting the health of the husbands, fathers, grandfathers, sons, friends, and neighbours is unwavering.
Thank you for your continued support of Calgary’s Prostate Cancer Centre. We wish you good health as we continue to persevere together.
Executive Director, Calgary’s Prostate Cancer Centre